Friday, May 4, 2012

Miniature Hat Boxes

For my last 'baby shower' post, I made these 3 miniature hat boxes
(with small gifts inside, of course!). The nursery for our granddaughter
will have some paisley printed bedding, so I wanted to stay with that theme and CTMH More to Adore paper was the perfect choice!

Click the photos to see larger image

As you can see, I made the middle size one backwards from the large and small ones. I used Mod Podge for Paper (following their instructions) to get the papers stuck to the boxes, just smoothing it out with my fingers as
I went along. Then after drying for at least 2 hours, I put one coat on top, just on the outsides and left the insides alone. 

All the insides are the same.... they all look like this:


It was quite a task to get that paper done "just so" on the inside of each box top and bottom! And I thought that was difficult until I started on the outsides, lol! Those paper mache boxes are NOT smooth and NOT perfectly round, and even 12x12 paper does not go all the way around anything except the smallest box bottom, inside and out. I had to piece together all the other paper parts, including the outside rim of the small box top! Being OCD didn't help, because I just had to have the stripes match up around those sides! Needless to say, there were some wrinkles when all was said and done, but for me, the end results were worth the headaches along the way! They turned out better than I thought they would, and my daughter loved them!



I used a variety of flowers and leaves, and even a 'spray' from I Am Roses to decorate each top, attaching them with a low temp hot glue gun. Everything you see came as that color except the yellow flowers... they were originally white. I painted them with Yellow Rose of Texas Magical Micas from Lindy's Stamp Gang, and then spritzed all the flowers and leaves with Medieval Gold Glitz Spritz.... so pretty! I chose yellow, even though it's not part of the colors in the paper set, because not only do some of the flowers have yellow stamen centers, but the baby's room is painted yellow! (pink, yellow, and green are her colors) I think I covered all of them in this design and even added the brown florals to go with the paper! The final touch were the stickpins.

Here's a close-up of the large arrangement:

Thanks for stopping by to check these out! Leave me some love in the comments if you have the time, and let me know what you think. :)



Supply List:

CTMH:
     More to Adore Paper pack (retired)
     Pretty Pins (reitred)
Darice Paper Mache Nesting Boxes
Mod Podge for Paper by Plaid
I Am Roses - variety of flowers, spray, and leaves
Lindy's Stamp Gang - Glitz Spritz and Magical Micas
hot glue gun



No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...